The Faculty of Education at Palacký University in Olomouc is closely following the trends associated with the development of artificial intelligence (especially generative models such as GPT), which are affecting many areas of human society – including education – and literally changing the world as we know it. It is already clear that they will also completely transform many activities and sectors in the future, including the world of teaching and education.
Faculty of Education of UP recognizes both the potential that AI offers and the risks and limitations that are associated with the mass use of AI. Above all, however, it sees AI as a great opportunity for improving education at all levels and as a tool that is important to learn to work with and use meaningfully in practice.
Recommendations for the use of AI in the conditions of the Faculty of Education of UP:
1. Use artificial intelligence in a meaningful and responsible way – so that it serves as a tool to help you improve your knowledge and skills.
2. If you use AI to write your papers (term papers, qualification papers, etc.) – acknowledge it and directly state it in the text (e.g., by using quotations, notes, statements, etc.). Seek and develop your contribution as an author so that your work is not just based on generated text, but primarily on your original creative work.
3. Recognize that all responsibility for the results you produce with the help of AI lies with you. Therefore, be as responsible as possible when using AI.
4. Recognize that even AI has its limits and can (and does) make many mistakes, primarily due to imperfect training. Therefore, always check all the content you create using AI and properly verify the relevance of the sources.
5. Follow ethical principles when using AI. Do not use the results produced by AI to cheat in any way.
Faculty advise their instructors to actively learn about new technological trends and to critically evaluate their benefits and risks. The current development of AI tools shows that it will be necessary to transform not only the way of conducting seminar and qualification papers, but also their assignment, so that the creative authorial involvement of learners is assumed, or the involvement of other forms of output than just classical academic texts. Many of these practical, didactic, project or application-oriented formats are already being implemented by students and the faculty management recommends their wider use.
The Faculty of Education of Palacký University in Olomouc actively informs about new trends related to the development of artificial intelligence and the possibilities of its application in the field of education at all levels. You can find a lot of information on this topic on our portal Teacher 21.
On behalf of the Faculty of Education of UP
doc. PhDr. Vojtech Regec, Ph.D.
Prepared in cooperation with the expert team of the Faculty of Education of UP
(doc. Kamil Kopecký, doc. Petra Šobáňová & doc. Radka Dofková)