About the Institute
The Institute of Education and Social Studies (IESS) was established at the Faculty of Education of Palacký University Olomouc on 4 March 2009. Its establishment was preceded by the long-term existence of the Department of Education with university-wide competence, which was formed at the Faculty of Education of Palacký University Olomouc in 1990 by merging the education departments of all university faculties that prepare future teachers. The Institute was established in order to provide non-teaching fields of study guaranteed by experts who were previously scattered through different departments of the Faculty and to concentrate them in one place for better cooperation.
The objectives of the IESS are as follows:
- (re)produce modern didactic trends and findings in the provision of education in teaching and non-teaching education programmes;
- conduct theoretical and applied research in various education and social disciplines;
- apply an interdisciplinary approach to research by seeking new forms of interaction among existing education disciplines;
- provide an inspiring environment for students, academics, and researchers from around the world;
- prepare and organise a forum for academic dialogue and interaction among experts from different academic disciplines;
- strengthen the links between the IESS and other institutes and departments within the Faculty of Education of Palacký University;
- organise functional connections between the Faculty of Education and other faculties of Palacký University and other universities.
History of the Institute
The Institute of Education and Social Studies has a solid academic research base. The academic research activities of the Institute’s employees correspond to their professional qualifications and are focused on areas relevant to the guaranteed teaching and non-teaching fields of study.
The academic research activities of the Institute are positively influenced by the doctoral degree programme in Pedagogy and Education (DDP). The Ph.D. students and their supervisors represent a considerable source of academic research potential. The base of young and promising scientists and academics is reinforced thanks to the organisation of regular seminars and, above all, the international student academic conference cycle “Current Issues of Education in Ph.D. Students’ Research”.
The activities of the Institute’s employees are also evidenced by their membership of various organisations, societies, and associations with a professional focus.
Despite being obviously fully occupied, the Institute’s employees are still working vigorously on their own further education and professional growth (doctoral studies, habilitation proceedings) and on maintaining professional networking on trips to various educational institutions in the Czech Republic and abroad (Slovakia, Poland, Austria, Germany, Italy, Greece, England, Ireland, Finland, Indonesia). The Institute plans to develop cooperation with faculties of education at other Czech universities and other departments of education and to improve contacts with foreign institutions, at least within the EU.
The Institute of Education and Social Studies certainly has enough humanistic conviction and teaching enthusiasm to allow its employees to continue the best tradition of education in Olomouc.
Accredited Study Programmes:
Social Education (bachelor’s degree) – programme guarantor: doc. PhDr. Mgr. Petra Potměšilová, Ph.D. (Sts Cyril and Methodius Faculty of Theology)
This bachelor’s degree programme has two specialisations – Leisure Time Education and Prevention of Socially Pathological Phenomena. The joint part of this study programme focuses on the acquisition of knowledge in the area of social education and inclusion of this knowledge into a broader theoretical framework of related disciplines. For their profession, social pedagogues need a knowledge of general education, philosophy, psychology, and special education. The study programme aims not only to equip students with the competences necessary for the area of social education but also for them to gain insights into the social, cultural and educational areas. The graduates will acquire university qualifications in the area of social education, with a focus on mentoring and work in leisure facilities. This programme is delivered in cooperation with the Sts Cyril and Methodius Faculty of Theology, Palacký University.
Social Education (master’s degree) – programme guarantor: doc. PhDr. Mgr. Petra Potměšilová, Ph.D. (Sts Cyril and Methodius Faculty of Theology)
This postgraduate master’s programme has two specialisations – Designing and Management and Educational Counselling. The graduates will become professionals equipped with competences involving the theoretical knowledge of the field, developed practical social skills, and partial methodological and organisational abilities required for coordinating professional assistance and intervention. An integral part of the programme is the development of the students’ personal dispositions in terms of self-knowledge, self-reflection, and ethics in the work of a social educator. This programme is delivered in cooperation with the Sts Cyril and Methodius Faculty of Theology, Palacký University.
Mentor Training – programme guarantor: doc. PhDr. Tomáš Čech, Ph.D.
This is a bachelor’s degree programme focused on the undergraduate preparation of professionals in various educational areas, particularly in leisure education and in educational and accommodation facilities. The objectives of the study are divided into several areas. The first area is educational and psychological propaedeutics and special education training, including an introductory medical course, a foreign language, and ICT. Other areas include subject-specific didactics, including disciplines from the theory and methodology of education, leisure time education, and particularly, specialised courses focusing on music, art, natural sciences, and vocational-technical activities, from which the students always select two disciplines.
Leisure Activity Management – programme guarantor: doc. PhDr. Tomáš Čech, Ph.D.
This postgraduate master’s degree programme focuses on the preparation of professionals in various areas of education and management in leisure school facilities and extracurricular education facilities (e.g. educational and accommodation facilities), in various cultural and educational institutions not supervised by the Ministry of Education, in non-governmental, non-profit organisations that offer leisure activities to various target groups, and in commercial recreation and leisure organisations. The graduates may also work in social services or healthcare facilities as mentors, leisure educators, animators, or activation employees.
Pedagogy and Education (Ph.D. programme) – programme guarantor: doc. Mgr. Štefan Chudý, Ph.D.
The aim of this doctoral degree programme is to prepare graduates with in-depth knowledge in educational disciplines. The emphasis is on the current trends in Czech and foreign theory and practice. The graduates – researchers in the area of education – will have a command of the methodology of educational research and will be able not only to communicate in English but also to present the results of their research studies. The graduates will mainly go on working for universities and in research. This programme is also provided in English.
Research and Development in Educational Studies – programme guarantor: doc. Mgr. Štefan Chudý, Ph.D.
The Master of Research and Development in Educational Studies offers a research-based and research-oriented programme providing broad expertise in the field of education. After successful completion of the master study programme, the graduate will be able to:
- a thorough understanding of several theoretical approaches and methodologies to study, evaluate and discuss educational issues,
- present, critically reflect and interpret current trends in education as a science discipline in the Czech Republic and abroad, in the wider context of social reality, especially in relation to their professional profiling,
- interpret, argue and apply contemporary theories of education and the transformation of the paradigm of curricular discourse in the context of the development of related scientific disciplines and in relation to their professional profiling,
- the necessary competencies and skills to independently conduct and implement empirical researches, design instruments, develop training modules and curricula, guide and evaluate innovation processes and engage with the historical and global aspects of education,
- aimed at widening and enriching the state of scientific knowledge in accordance with the relevant discourses of pedagogical sciences and ethical principles,
- participate in scientific and research project and grant activities within larger scientific teams.
- implement the topic of their expertise in university process of education.
The graduate is particularly active as a teacher or an academic and research worker in educational sciences.
Institute of Education and Social Studies – Info Brochure